Stacy Durr Albert
- For dining rooms, hang chandeliers about 30 to 36 inches above your table, but add an extra 3 inches for every foot of ceiling that’s above 8 feet.
- Wall sconces should be hung 5.5 feet above the finished floor, or approximately 15 to 18 inches above a mantel.
- In bedrooms, install wall-mounted lights that flank the bed about 21 inches above the top of the mattress, or 42 inches above the finished floor.
- Hang pendants 28 to 34 inches above a countertop or 72 inches above the floor, for the best results.
- No matter how high your ceilings soar, a great room chandelier should be hung so that the bottom of the fixture is between 8 and 9 feet off the floor.